Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What Comes Next?

A lot of people have been asking me what I plan to do with all of my extra time now that I'm no longer working on the doctorate degree. The biggest thing I've been doing is spending time with my family and friends. I take my time telling stories to my daughters. I sit and talk with my wife more in the evenings. I've been doing some recreational things like raquetball with friends... things that I've put off for a long time.

I also know that I'm really looking forward to just being a pastor without having to focus on always hitting writing or editing deadlines. I want to focus on spending time with people and exploring the East End of Pittsburgh on a daily basis. God has already opened the door for me to be able to lead our East End church staff in an urban ministry exercise. I've been able to minister to homeless people, families, at-risk youth, businessmen, a family in crisis, and many other people in different situations.

Earning a doctorate degree and writing a dissertation was an important stage of life for me. However, I have much to look forward to in the months and years to come. There is much work to be done in my city, and the church I lead is primed to make a huge difference in the city. My wife has sacrificed a great deal for me over the past four years, and I am looking forward to serving her sacrificially now. I am looking forward to serving the Lord with my whole heart in my city, and giving myself away to people. God has me on quite an adventure and I can't wait to see what is in store next.

2 comments:

Timothy Wright said...

Congrats Bryan! Well done. I am bummed that we won't get to hang out together this summer but hopefully next summer. Love following what God is doing to, in and through you.

Tim

Bryan McCabe said...

Thanks Tim! Hopefully we can hang out soon!