Friday, January 6, 2012

The Unpredictable City

One of the funny things about incarnational ministry in the city is that I never know what to expect from one day to the next. Life is very unpredictable in the city, and I love it! Last night a few kids from the neighbhorhood dropped in on our church small group at our home. We shared an unexpected late dinner together, and we talked a lot about some struggles that they are having in school and also some fun things that are going on in their lives. Today I helped a mentee get to school because he missed his school bus, his mom had just had a baby so she couldn't take him, his high school requires a parent or guardian to be with the student trying to gain admittance if they arrive a couple hours late, and so I helped him get into school by appearing to be a responsible adult. I did some writing at some coffee shops in the East End. I interacted with a homeless person. Generally, I just tried to have the mindset all day that God was going to use me no matter what happened or who he brought across my path. And a lot of different kinds of people cross paths in cities. I used to live in neighborhoods where I never had any unexpected visitors. I lived there intentionally in the name of "safety." But in living in a "safe" neighbhorhood, I never realized how many interesting people and experiences I was missing out on. I love knowing my neighbors, and being a part of what goes on in the day to day buzz of the city. Who knows, I might be life long city boy!

No comments: