Friday, January 27, 2012

Launch Week

What's life like for a pastor launching a new church location in a midst of an urban environment? The week before the grand opening is definitely crazy, but it has been so much fun! Everyone has been scrambling to get the theater and ministry center spaces ready for Sunday. I've been to launch meetings, home meetings in different parts of the city, and individual meetings with people who are either a part of the launch team or interested in learning more about the new church. I've had meaningful interactions with many different kinds of people. I mentored kids from Homewood this week, and I've spent some great time with local businessmen. I've hit the streets to have conversations with people in the East End, and I've hidden out in my office to get a few minutes of peace and quiet. I've prayed with people in buildings and out walking the streets.

This week has been a good example of how the best type of ministry does not happen in sterile, predictable environments. Effective urban ministers are able to navigate the streets and the strategy meetings in an office setting. We learn how to connect with many different types of people because there is so much diversity in the city. When the kingdom of God advances through something like a new church, we expect that there will be resistance and we persevere through it. This is the fun part of ministry... when God gives us a difficult calling and we are obedient to the calling no matter the circumstances. The more things get tough in launching North Way East End, the more I know that God is going to do something amazing through his church. The adventure takes a big step forward on Sunday moring at 10am with the grand opening. I can't wait... don't think I'll be able to sleep between now and then. The excitement is overwhelming!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can feel the excitement in your writing!! Praying for you and the community! See you on Sunday!
Gary & Carol