Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Trip to California

I'm back in California for an urban immersion course in Fresno.  I love it out west!  I flew into the LA area where I have many great memories, and today I'm driving up to Visalia where I lived for six years so that I can visit with some good friends.  Even though I love Pittsburgh and I'm hoping to be there for a long time to invest in that city, it still feels like a big part of my heart is in California.  I spent most of my twenties here, those years that were so formative to the man I am today.  I look back on the good moments, and I even look back on the painful moments as experiences that helped to shape me.

I think that it is important to reflect on our lives... often.  We should not try to live in the past, or recapture those magical things that brought us joy at one point in our lives, because life doesn't work like that.  Every day is a new adventure, and a new opportunity to create new memories and experience the joy in life that God gives us.  Still, reflection encourages us because it allows us to see how God worked through circumstances when at the time we may have had no idea what was going on.  God works things out for his purposes, as long as we are obedient, whether we get the job or not, whether the relationship worked out or not, whether the house worked out or not, whether the church worked out or not, and on and on.  Life is full of seemingly endless possibilities, and we must yield to God every single day if we are to navigate through uncharted waters.  And when we reflect, we get to see how our Creator charted the course for us.  God has our best interests in mind, even if we don't realize it all the time.

No comments: