Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Surprising Quiet of Nature

I am spending some time in nature this week, at a lake in the South. This place is much different than my life in Pittsburgh. And that is a good thing. I love the city, but I also know that God is found in his amazing creation in nature as well. The stars seem brighter out here where there are no other lights around to drown their light out. I am seeing new animals and insects every day. I am taking walks, and taking in the sights. Things are so quiet here. The quiet is surprising after I have become so familiar with the urban soundtrack to my life in Homewood.

There are simple joys to be discovered here. I am proud of my daughter, Kyra, whenever she builds a new relationship with a kid in Homewood. And at the same time, I have been just as proud of her this week as she caught her first fish and she got up on waterskis for the first time. I am proud of my other daughter, Sierra, when she has us all rolling with her jokes in Homewood, and her little personality is just as much a treasure when she has us all cracking up with her jokes out here in nature. I love how my wife loves others well in Homewood, and it's a joy to watch her do that here in nature on vacation as well. God has so richly blessed me with amazing friends and family, and I'm appreciating those things this week.

God. Yes, there's always God. He is ever present in the streets of Homewood as he is in the rolling, tree-lined hills of Dale Hollow Lake. I am in love with Jesus, and he is giving me rest this week. I am in love with my Creator, and he is showing me so many amazing parts of his creation. No matter how much I try to wrap my head around God's unending creativity and grace, I am still blown away by his majesty and love for me. Rest is good. Reflection is good. Telling stories with old friends is good. Reading and writing for fun (and not the DMin) is good. Continuing to fall in love with God is good. Ahhh... vacation.

No comments: