Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Signs of Hope and Signs of Need

Today I attended the eighth grade graduation of my one to one mentee from a middle school in the Pittsburgh Public Schools (one different than Faison... he transferred there two years ago). I was so proud of him. In the past two years, he has only been suspended for one day and he has earned consistently good grades. This came in comparison to my first two years with him, where he was almost expelled both years because of his number of suspensions. He also received very low grades both of those years. He has really turned things around. Now he is talking about doing well in high school, and he is talking about going to college. His graduation from middle school was an incredible sign of hope to me. I enjoyed celebrating with his family.

Once the graduation ceremony ended, the graduates made their way out of the auditorium and I anxiously awaited my opportunity to congratulate my mentee. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched a young graduate walk angrily right past me in the wrong direction from where the graduates were supposed to be heading. His mom screamed for him to stop, but he ran to the front of the auditorium and started fighting with a person there. Before I knew it, there was a group of five or six young men involved in a significant fight. Weighing my options, I nodded to three or four other big men in the area and we entered the fray to stop the fight. In pulling kids off of one another, I somehow managed to get some blood on me. What would make a person fight on a day of celebration?

My mentee wanted to jump in on the fight, but he held back. I had made eye contact with him, and shook my head "no." It was one of his best friends who was involved in this fight. He wanted to help, but now was not the time. His mom kept him away as best as she could. We managed to separate the young men from one another until the police arrived. They handled the situation from there, and I was able to go join my mentee's family to try to celebrate with them. There was quite a somber mood from that point on, though.

In urban ministry such as LAMP, it is important to look for signs of hope and signs of need. On the one hand, my mentee graduated from middle school and he chose to stay out of the violence that followed the graduation ceremony. On the other hand, I left with blood on my hands and a clear picture that there are still many young men in this district who need to be mentored. Many of them are waiting for a mentor right now. Some have been waiting for two years now. This sign of need was never more prevelant than today.

As I walked away from the school, a person said to me, "That was the craziest thing I've ever seen! That's why I moved out of the city." I didn't say it, but I thought to myself, "That was one of the craziest things I've ever seen! That's why I moved into the city." Maybe he wouldn't understand. Why would a person intentionally put themselves or their family in that situation? Many people are fleeing the city... running away from these types of situations. As for me? I'm staying. I'm engaging. I am a Christian. God has called me to engage when kids are fighting at a graduation ceremony. God is present all of the time, both during signs of hope and signs of need. Maybe I can find a mentor for one of those kids involved in the brawl. Who knows? It all depends on if any of the other men from my church want to step up. My church has been great, but we do not nearly have enough men who have stepped up to mentor kids in Homewood. When will they step up to meet the needs of the kids? What will it take for Christians to really engage?

No comments: