Saturday, April 24, 2010

Pride

Pastor Joel Repic gave a great talk at the Family Guidance volunteer appreciation banquet last night. He talked a lot about pride, and I think the way he framed the message really resonated with the mentors who were on hand. I know it resonated with me. He mentioned that sometimes folks who become involved in intense urban ministry can develop a little bit of pride because we do things that other people are unwilling to do. We begin to think that we are extra special for what we do. We want to be the heroes of our situations, trying to displace Christ as the key figure in the work that we do. As mentors, people often look up to us (I call it the Mother Theresa syndrome). It makes us feel good. We can get addicted to that high, again squeezing God out of the picture.

There is not really anything wrong with feeling good about helping others. However, we fall victim to pride when we attempt to elevate ourselves over Christ. Christ is everything. He should receive the glory, not me. I do not save the kids in Homewood. Only God does that. I cannot transform Pittsburgh. Only God can do that.

God, please forgive me for being prideful. I pray that You will be glorified in every way in every effort at urban ministry that I give. Help me to humble myself and exalt You.

No comments: