Monday, March 1, 2010

Watch Out For Snowballs

Julie went over to Ohio with the girls to visit her parents this weekend, so I had some time to myself. It's always strange when I happen to be alone for several days in a row because I often try to squeeze too much fun into a relatively short amount of time. This weekend was no exception. On Saturday night I had the opportunity to hang out with some good guy friends of mine. We had a blast together! We talked about life. We talked about Jesus. We talked about girls (our wives, of course). We talked about music. As I walked to my car to leave in the early hours of the morning my friends decided to throw snowballs at me (and my car). One of my friends made a one-in-a-million shot by launching a snowball from the top of the downtown building we were at into the driver seat of my car. Although I had to drive home sitting on the broken remains of a snowball, I had to laugh because it was the perfect ending to a great evening with friends.

Then, on Sunday evening I had the chance to hang out with my mentee. We went to church at North Way Oakland, we ate dinner at the O, and then we played Wii Resort for a while back at my place. We had a blast together! We talked about life. We talked about Jesus. We talked about girls. We talked about music. I guess some things never change from one generation to the next. When I dropped him off at his house, he walked about ten steps away from my car, turned around, and then threw a huge snowball at my car. Of course I had to get out of my car and teach him a lesson in respecting his elders. Yes, my arm is sore today, but it was so worth it. Anyway, the snowball he threw was the perfect punctuation mark on our time together.

Sometimes we adults make mentoring and relationship building out to be so diffucult, but it really isn't that tough. We just shouldn't take ourselves so seriously. You'd be surprised at how much we have in common with young people. Just watch out for those snowballs.

No comments: