Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Consumerism and Materialism

On the topics of consumerism and materialism, Soong-Chan Rah writes, "American Christianity has acquiesced to the materialistic values of American society and is no longer distinguishable in its values and norms from the excessive materialism of American society... The American dream becomes confused with biblical standards. As more and more wealth and possessions are accumulated by the Christian, there is an assumption that they are in the will of God and that more blessings are coming their way." - from The Next Evangelicalism

What do you think about those words? I am definitely not against individuality and prosperity, as some have accused me of. However, I am concerned that American Christianity in many circles has bought into the prosperity gospel, which I believe is heresy. But cultural Christianity seems to be more subtle than outright proclaimation of prosperity gospel. It creeps into our lives and families and churches, and we often do not even notice. We do not notice that, as Christians, maybe our lives are not all that different than nonChristians.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello Bryan and Julie McCabe, I'm (friendly-) stalking you on the internet looking for your address. Email me through facebook. Bryan, how cool that you have a blog! Best of luck in your studies! Happy Holidays!! best, Jen K, Oakland CA

Anonymous said...

You know, I just recently had to take some blood pressure medicine after reading a comment that someone posted on Pastor Jay's blog, and now to hear you say you're accused of being against individuality and prosperity... when you get these bizarre accusations - PLEASE send them to me!

Deanna said...

Well said Bryan. I totally agree with everything you are saying. The scripture that I read talks about persecution and suffering - not wealth and materialism. It baffles me where the prosperity thing comes from. The abundant life that Jesus talks about is NOT material but spiritual. I like the quote that the American dream has become confused with biblical standards and I think you are correct when you say that in this area Christians do not look different than non-Christians. My experience is that most believers embrace the culture while pretending to not buy into it.

kent chevalier said...

Bmac...this is a very challenging post. If I'm honest with you, this is a constant struggle for me and all of us! Do I buy the family van that is on it's last leg to save money and to make a point that I'm not into materialism or do I buy the newer van for the investment while running the risk of accusations? Does living in the suburbs make me a consumeristic Christian? I honestly struggle with this stuff.

I must work hard not to let the culture of "keeping up with the Jones's" get the best of me and my wife. I want what's best for our children, but the struggle is that "best" is defined differently in the scriptures compared to our culture. I must keep this at the forefront of all our decisions. For instance...is private Christian school best or public school? Ouch!

Let's also not forget that Jesus' ministry was funded by some rich folks. Luke's gospel was paid for by a really wealthy dude. On the other hand, Jesus tells the rich young ruler to sell everything and give it all to the poor. You can't preach one without the other because it seems that Jesus dealed with the individual's motive of the heart.

So, what do I think about these words? I know I struggle with it. God help me.

Bryan McCabe said...

One of the most difficult things about the Christian journey is discernment. The opposite of truth is lies, and often the things that appear to bring us life are actually lies in the form of false idols. As you touched on Kent, I don't often find myself choosing between great good and great evil on a daily basis. I often must look into the seemingly trivial, smaller decisions of ordinary life which could lead to destruction. If following Christ is a narrow path, then I must always be on guard and using discernment that comes from the Holy Spirit.