Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving in Homewood

I have a lot to be thankful for this year. This was my first Thanksgiving as a resident in Homewood, and I am continuing to gain unique perspectives on life. I think I could probably best describe these perspectives by sharing what I experienced over the past four days. In the past we have typically travelled during this time period (last year we went to New York City), but this year we stayed in the Burgh.

On Thursday (Thanksgiving Day), we woke up in Homewood and watched the Macy's parade on TV. We drove to the North Hills (suburbs) for a huge meal with extended family. Then we drove back to our house in Homewood to spend the night. It was not really an unusual day. On Friday we had some extended family visit us at our house in Homewood. We decided to take them to the Frick Art and History Center located in Point Breeze just a couple of blocks from our house. Those couple of blocks present quite a contrast (the average home price in Homewood is $22,000... the average home price in Point Breeze is well over $300,000). The contrast is most dramatically emphasized by the huge Victorian Frick mansion on Penn Avenue and the accompanying grounds, which just might be described as the most affluent home and grounds in the entire city. The "garage" on the property alone has twenty or thirty luxury antique cars that are symbolic of the wealth generated by coal and steel barons in Pittsburgh during the industrial era. The family built an extra building to accomodate their extensive collection of fine art. The grounds also include a green house, a fancy restaurant, and a gift shop that was at one time a large building used as a play house for kids (it actually had a functioning bowling ally). Today the grounds draw visitors from all over the region because people are interested to peak into the lives of affluent people from a bygone era. While we toured the area I was amazed at the level of extravagence, and I felt at peace on the well-manicured property that in many ways represented the pinnacle of human success and achievement.

After the visit my parents took the girls with them to spend the night at their place so Julie and I had a date night. We went to the south side to eat out and go to a movie. We decided to watch The Blind Side, which many people have recommended to us as a must see. It really was a good movie, and I am hopeful that all of the young people that I work with are able to overcome difficult circumstances to become healthy and thriving adults (even if they don't become football stars). In one of the scenes from the movie, the young man serving as the main character is involved in a scuffle where gunshots are fired (thankfully he is not hit). That was probably the most dramatic scene of the movie. Julie and I went home and both experienced wierd dreams (don't movies do that to you?). At about 2:30am I was jolted out of sleep to the sound of gunfire that seemed to be right outside of our house. My heart raced, and I peeked out the window to watch as about five police cars circled my block in search of the culprit. I'm not sure if anyone was injured because I didn't hear anything on the news, but that was definitely the closest shots I've heard since we moved hear. I could not fall back asleep, so I read my Bible for a while. On that particular night, I read in Revelations about how Jesus wins... He comes back in power to claim the ultimate victory over all evil. I finally fell asleep with the thought in my head that God is in control, and in the end... God wins. We already know.

On Saturday we picked up the girls and went to a birthday party for one of the girls' friends in the suburbs. We had a great time, although I had a hard time forgetting about what what we had experienced over night. I don't think that anyone else at the party was quietly contemplating how to respond appropriately to gunshots (should I have called the cops... did anyone see me looking out the window... how can I keep my daughters safe from stray bullets). After the party I spent time with my one to one mentee in Homewood, and then we had a LAMP family over to our house for dinner. We had a great time connecting with them, and right after dinner five boys from the neighborhood stopped over to hang out. We had a full house as everyone visited for several hours. On that particular day our house felt like the hub of the community, with so many different people stopping by to visit. I think I answered some of my questions about the gunshots... this is what I'm supposed to be doing about the gunshots in Homewood. Maybe if the young people I interact with in Homewood grasp a positive alternative vision for their lives from a young age then they won't be interested in shooting guns a few years from now.

On Sunday we went to church at North Way Oakland, and then we had a nice relaxing afternoon. Then... more kids from the neighborhood stopped by. I can't wait until we have our basement finished! Then we can have more space for them. We were resourceful though... we played football in the school parking lot and then we all ate sloppy joes for dinner. After dinner I had the "boundaries" conversation with the boys (you can't come over every night)... don't know if it sunk in. We'll see.

All in all, it was an eventful Thanksgiving. We experienced community in the suburbs and in the city. We are building relationships with our neighbors. Kids' lives are being impacted by the work we're doing. That's always something to be thankful for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I did not have to answer your question! :)

I am sure hearing gunshots is nerve wracking - but truly..

Your daughters ARE safe from stray bullets.

The Bible tells me so.

Jason Gregg said...

Where does the Bible say we are safe? What the bible does say is we are going to be tested. Love ya bryan but I thought this could turn into an interesting thread/conversation. I do feel you will be safe and your family but where does the Bible give us this guarantee?