Tuesday, November 10, 2009

It's Alive!

In my men's group this morning we had some great discussions about the body of Christ. The church is an amazing organization. In fact, it is not just an organization... it is alive. Greg Ogden, the author of our group's curriculum, wrote, "When people in the body take responsibility before the Head to know and exercise their assigned functions, the church becomes a living organism." The body of Christ has endured for thousands of years, and it will endure for eternity.

When I first started with LAMP four years ago, for some reason it seemed to me that I needed to have a hand in everything that went on involving North Way and Homewood. I was present at just about everything, and was deeply involved in each match with each of the mentees. I was in the Homewood schools nearly every day. That system seemed to work well until something happened. We grew... fast! I initially formed a group of eight people to serve as a LAMP leadership team, and Family Guidance assumed a broader role in volunteer supervision and support. Now, there are many other churches involved in LAMP and much that goes on that I do not have a direct hand in guiding. Over 200 North Way members have been trained to mentor, and I am unable to stay intimately involved with each of the matches as I was in the beginning. This is such great news! As I look at LAMP now, I can truly see an example of how the body of Christ is fulfilling its function. So many different people are offering their unique gifts to one another and to their mentees and their families. I am always amazed to see people living out their callings.

I believe that it is in this place of interdependance that we find community. Authentic relationships develop out of shared experiences. I would gladly stand shoulder to shoulder with any one of the LAMP mentors in a battle because I know that they are for real. They stand in the gap for others, and they are dependant on God and others in the body to be sustained. Several people involved in LAMP are now my closest friends whom I depend on almost daily. Unfortunately, I also know many people who I would not want standing next to me in a battle. These are the posers... folks who are fronting. Lukewarm Christians. Cultural Christians whose lives look no different than those living in darkness. They may talk about the poor, or have great dreams of doing something big for the Kingdom. Their actions do not follow their words, and I would not trust them if my life was on the line. At the end of the day, they depend on themselves. Ogden wrote, "Independence and self-reliance are the enemies of community. Without vulnerability and an awareness of need there is no basis for community. Unfortunately, it is often in the church that we find the facade of having it all together."

Are you for real, or are you putting up a front for others? Are you in an authentic faith community, or are you going through the motions and depending on yourself to get by? As much community as I experience, I still yearn for more. God continually refines me to fight selfishness and embrace authenticity. I have a long way to go. If you were called to the front lines of the Great Battle (which we all are whether we know it or not), would you want me standing shoulder to shoulder with you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - this was a sermon - like the one Joanne preached in September's meeting. I shared with my small group and hope they take the questions to heart.
Awesome writing Bryan!