Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Great Day in Homewood

I'm recovered from being sick, and I had a great day today. This morning I had coffee with a good friend who I've been meeting with just about every week for the past couple of years. It's great to have a buddy in my life who I can talk to about anything, and who I know is shoulder to shoulder with me in the battle. After my time with him I went to read to kids at Faison Primary as part of "celebrity" reader day at the school. I read a funny dinosaur book to Kyra's first grade class, and I was reminded once again how fun it is to hang out with kids. I feel so welcomed at the school, and they have open arms for any kind of positive contributions to the kids in the school.

I had lunch with friend from my men's group who has taken an interest in my life, and he came to Homewood to check out what I'm into. He's a guy I really respect a lot who has been discipling me as part of the group, and it was so nice of him to just enter my world for a couple hours. I love showing people around Homewood and sharing about how God is moving. Later in the day I got to mentor some kids at Faison Intermediate, and then I finished the afternoon off at a fun after school program with Julie and the girls at Faison Primary. There are so many interesting things to do in Homewood, and also interesting people to connect with.

This evening I had a good walk with Julie, and some really fun time with Kyra and Sierra before they went to bed. I am so blessed with the family that God has given me! I love my girls! I can't wait to see what God has in store for our urban adventure tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I picked up and dropped off my mentee today, I noticed how beautiful the community looked. Oh, of course I could have paid attention to the delapidated buildings, but the fall leaves and the children playing outside and the neighbors talking made a beautiful picture. It looked like Autumn in Main Street, USA to me. I wish others could see what I see.

Anonymous said...

Bryan

Last Friday when we were picking up our mentees, I saw something I never expected to see in Homewood - a groundhog scurrying across the street. Who knew?

John V