Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Choices

Julie and I are starting to settle in here in Homewood, and now we are in a unique stage in our journey where we need to make little decisions about things that will impact day to day living. For instance, what grocery store are we going to shop at? There are lots of options within just a few minutes of where we live, but we want to shop at places as close to Homewood as possible to support the local economy. However, Homewood does not have a grocery store. Also, where are we going to work out? There are many fine options in neighborhoods like Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, or Penn Hills, but we decided to get a family membership at the local YMCA in Homewood. We love it!

While these choices seem small, they do have a broader meaning for us. Are we going to choose to really LIVE in Homewood? I know putting our daughter in Faison was a big step for us in that area, but are we committed to that concept in everything we do as a family? If we are going to be good neighbors, we need to actually get to know our neighbors. There are some other areas that we still have some reservations. For instance, when we go for a walk, we always walk in the direction of Point Breeze. I have noticed that the only time I really intentionally go for a walk in Homewood is when I am either studying something or showing somebody around while talking about LAMP. Why is that? Is it fear? Is it rational?

The point is... the choices we make have consequences not only on ourselves but on the people around us. Are we willing to let God stretch our comfort zones by taking risks and trying new things, or are we arranging for our own comforts in our choices. Do you consider how your day to day choices impact others?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan

I really commend you and Julie for giving consideration to things like where you shop, work out, etc. It really speaks to where your heart is regarding your calling to Homewood.

That said, you need to have some street smarts regarding when and where you go. I would strongly encourage you and Julie to take the NRA Personal Protection courses (both the Inside the Home and Outside the Home), even if you have no intention of owning or carrying a defensive firearm. The classes teach an awful lot about how to be aware of threats, how to avoid them, what to do if something happens, etc. - information that would serve you both well even if you don't own or use a firearm. I learned a lot about just little things to be aware of when I'm out and about. As the old saying goes, the best way to win a gun fight is to avoid it in the first place.

I'd also advise you to talk to the locals. Ask them about where to go and not go, at what times, etc. God will always protect us, but He also expects us to use the common sense He gave us.

John V

Jeffrey Gregg said...

B,
God did not put you and your family there to hurt you or place you in harms way. That being said you are responsible to decide what is a reasonable risk. There is a difference between a nice walk in the wilderness and a nice walk in the wilderness that takes you through a rattle snake den. Be aware of your surroundings and trust your instincts and what God is telling you. When it is all said and done you are responsible for the safety of your family.

Jeff Gregg

Bryan McCabe said...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. It's good to know other men have my back!

Chad said...

Your part about walking around Homewood really struck at a similar circumstance I went through on the North Side. I used to have a fear of walking on E. Ohio St when I first moved out here. Growing up and living in suburbs out west was a totally different experience for me. (ok let me just say it, I had never been around so many african americans in my life) I remember one night picking up pizza at Lillens on Ohio St for basketball and parking at night, going into the pizza joint, going back into the car and then I realized that I had no more fear! Now a year later I'm amazed at the places I go to, not that I'm without disregard for some dangerous areas, but I no longer have that fear or suburban prejudice. Praise God!