Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Final WUF 10 Update 2-12-20

This is my final day in Abu Dhabi. It's been an amazing journey with long time friends, and also many new friends. I met some fascinating people who are working together to design cities where people can flourish. There are so many sites to see in Abu Dhabi. I love how they've planted trees everywhere and that there is water everywhere.


There are also fancy sports cars everywhere. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to bring home a Ferrari or a BMW. It's a tough choice.


I learned a lot this week at the World Urban Forum. I love looking at maps and exploring new cities, so the connections that I made with organizations who produce urban maps should keep me occupied for a long time. There are some brilliant minds here! The resources from the Urban Expansion Observatory really resonated with me (they're tracking how cities are growing outward and upward using satellite imagery).


Our Urban Shalom Society team participated in another interfaith event today entitled Faith and Religion as a Pathway for Implementing the New Urban Agenda: Insights from Researchers and Practitioners. This event led to some incredible discussions about the common ground that faith leaders have in the addressing the challenges of rapid urbanization. Several leaders presented original research on work that they're involved in, and the panel discussions were meaningful. We'll be sharing the outcomes with our colleagues at the UN.


Many of the leaders from the Urban Shalom Society team gathered for a dinner to debrief the day's events, and to plan for the remaining time at WUF 10. I had a fun conversation with BGU grad Jacob Bloemberg. We caught up on all of the latest happenings at the university (lots going on with equipping urban leaders around the world), and Jacob shared more with me about his pastoral journey with his church in Vietnam. We're both hoping that his book, Love [Your City], will catch on with pastors and churches around the world.


I'm sad to be leaving Abu Dhabi as this has been a remarkable adventure! At the same time, I'm looking forward to reconnecting with my family and rejoining the amazing work that is happening in Pittsburgh. If you've been reading this blog, thanks for tracking along with me for this adventure! 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Bryan! What an awesome opportunity. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures! It made me miss that place, too. It is beautiful and the waters are wonderful. It s amazing how they designed manmade waterways in Dubai that dump right into the Arabian Sea...awesome.
Safe travels and we'll see you soon.
God bless,
Paulette

Martin Okoli; BGU Student said...

Thanks for sharing your remarkable experience in Dubai. Journey mercies as you return to the States.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this sneak preview into your involvement with WUF, Bryan. Your blog made learning fun, insightful and exciting. A really beautiful way to visit other spaces and indulge in the work of like minds.