Monday, September 26, 2016

Newfound Home

People often like to talk about what's wrong with the young people growing up in Homewood, but I really enjoy highlighting the many assets that the kids of Homewood possess. My neighborhood is filled with some of the most resilient, passionate, amazing young people around. Every once in a while I let the kids that I'm involved in mentoring take over this blog when they write something cool. One of Homewood's best and brightest kids recently got a writing assignment from his school, so, of course, it needs to be shared with the world. This is a young man with many assets describing his city that has many assets. The writing project is entitled Newfound Home (just as he wrote it). Check it out:

I've heard some inspiring
things about Pittsburgh
I've even seen
somethings too.
People here rep their
hoods with pride.
Little league football
teams excel.
Neighbors help each
other.
Bridges everywhere,
along with buses
always packed.
But young boys and girls
never stray from giving
up their seat for the
elderly.
So even though I miss
Boston
seeing the fireworks 
going off on the 4th of July
downtown,
or seeing schools accept
one another, 
seeing the water
glistening
on all three rivers makes all
the difference.
Downtown is a food hub
from Italian food, Chinese
food, and Greek food all
on the same block
I now understand why
people say Pittsburgh is 
one of the best cities in
the world!

No comments: