Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Generational Legacy

I'm working on writing a sermon this afternoon. I dove into the Bible, which prompted me to want to dive into my biblical commentaries. I pulled out an old gem of a commentary that was printed in 1929 which had somehow made its way to the bookshelf in my office. Curious about how I had come across this particular commentary, I opened to the beginning of the book to find the following inscription:


If you can't read the words very well, the handwritten inscription in the commentary says, "Kirk McCabe, December 25, 1961 from Papa & G'ma." My great grandparents gave the book to my dad as a Christmas present when he was 16 years old. My dad held onto it for years, and he gave it to me earlier this year when he was giving away some of his theological books to his kids. I didn't know at the time that this particular book had been given to him by his grandparents... I had originally wanted it because I love old books. Yes, I'm nerdy like that.

I got to reflecting on what this revelation meant. My great grandparents were followers of Jesus Christ, and they instilled their faith in their own children, and, as this gift represents, they wanted their grandchildren to follow Jesus. My mom and dad in turn desired for me and my sisters to follow Christ. We are all serving the Lord, and I am so excited that my daughters are both followers of Jesus Christ. In fact, my daughters gave me the Bible that is open behind the commentary in the picture (that's Kyra and Sierra in the photo on my desk).

It struck me that this is a great example of building a powerful legacy. Faith in Jesus Christ is the most important legacy that one generation can leave for the next generation. It's important to pray for our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. We can be creative with the gifts that we give, in terms of giving things that lead children closer to Jesus Christ. We can model stewardship and generosity. We can live by biblical principles. God's transformational power and love can transcend time and generations. Our short lives on this earth matter. My family is living proof of that. I'm so thankful that my great-grandparents chose to leave a Christian legacy to the generations that followed after them. 

No comments: