Thursday, May 16, 2013

Signs of Hope in Pitcairn

I had the opportunity to spend some time in the neighborhood of Pitcairn last night at the home of Gary and Carol Agate. The Agates have an amazing incarnational ministry. They moved to Pitcairn to be able to reach out to the kids and families there, and they are mobilizing volunteers from local churches to get involved in the work. Last night I got to be a part of the community meal that they share with a bunch of kids in their neighborhood. The kids powerhoused slopply joes and homemade french fries while the adults built relationships with the kids. We spent about 30 minutes with the kids on a little Bible lesson and some "real talk" about life. Then after the kids left I hung around for a while to talk to the adults about the challenges of incarnational urban ministry and how to build transformational mentoring relationships with kids over time. The entire evening was so much fun.

God is doing a great work in Pitcairn, and he is doing that great work through followers of Jesus Christ who are simply being obedient to the calling that God has given them. The ministry is built on relationships, not necessarily programs. The ministry points the young people toward a relationship with Jesus Christ. The ministry is being contextualized to the neighborhood. The leaders are truly trying to find out where the Holy Spirit is working, and they are joining that work. If more people like the Agates would reach into other Pittsburgh-area neighborhoods, we would see God literally transform this region. I was thankful to get a small snapshot of what God is doing in our city last night. I am encouraged to pray that God will continue to raise up more leaders in Pittsburgh to participate in transformational leadership in urban neighborhoods.

1 comment:

gcagateadventures said...

Bryan,

Thanks so much for your visit and encouragement of what we have been called to do in Pitcairn.
We are so thankful for you and Julie and the example of what it means to give your lives away to others.
Your insights on Urban Ministry are invaluable to us and we are so blessed to learn from those who have gone before us. I can't say that it was our life plan to be called to Urban Ministry at the ages of 49 and 59, but as I always say, "God has a sense of humor".
I sometimes wonder what my life would be like if I stayed in that beautiful Townhome, and then I realize I would have missed out on so much love!! I can't imagine my life without these boys and what they mean to us.
We are truly blessed!!
Carol & Gary Agate