Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Diversity in the City

My daughters had a bunch of friends from their school over for a party this afternoon. As I looked around the house, I noticed how diverse their friends are. Their friends are African-American, Asian-American, Caucasian, and Hispanic, and they come from different levels of socioeconomic status. All of the kids are growing up in an urban environment.

I am being very intentional by raising my daughters in the midst of a big city. The world that my daughters will be navigating when they become adults will be increasingly urban, so I am preparing them by raising them to understand cities. By the time my daughters are adults, there will be more minorities living in America than white people. I am raising them in a city that has many different kinds of people so that they will be able to thrive as adults at building relationships with people who are different than them racially and socioeconomically.

Cities do present challenges when it comes to raising a family. However, the rewards definitely outweigh the risks. It is important to prepare children to be able to thrive in the world as adults, and the city makes for a wonderful classroom. I am thankful for the diversity that the city incorporates into my family's life.

No comments: