Thursday, May 5, 2011

Launching a Campus in the City

Over the past couple of weeks I've been looking at buildings for the church campus that I'll be leading this Fall. It's a strange feeling to be on the front end of a process that will hopefully impact hundreds of lives for Christ some day. It's amazing to experience how God is in control of the process, and the resistance that comes with expansion of God's kingdom. As in any big city, these factors are magnified by the complexities of the urban environment. Starting a church in the city can be initimidating, but it is also a wonderful challenge. I've learned so much about God and cities over the past couple of years. In a time when many people around the United States are running away from or avoiding cities, I am still completely intrigued by the opportunities for the advancement of the gospel message in my city. I know there will be some good outcomes of all of this foundational work, but I'm really just enjoying the journey at the moment. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Every day is a new adventure to be lived, and I wouldn't trade the experience of leading in the city for all of the comfort and predictability in the world!

3 comments:

Jason said...

How do you handle "church competition" in the city? My guess is churches won't want you around the area based on their fear that this church may pull members away from their church. I'm curious!

Bryan McCabe said...

That's definitely going to be a part of the challenge. It think it will just take time to build those relationships with other pastors. In the city, though, it does require intentionality. I need to initiate those tough conversations and not shy away from them. It's still amazing to me that there are billions of nonChristians on this planet, and we Christians fight ourselves over territory.

Jason said...

I could not agree more.... we are part of the same family, same faith (hopefully) and same beliefs (again, hopefully). We are ONE church in separate locations to honor and serve ONE God. I hope and pray all goes according to His plan and many more individuals and families will be served in your community and abroad.