Monday, September 21, 2009

City Walks

As a part of the research I have been doing for my most recent BGU project, I have gone on several city walks through Homewood. The basic concept is known as exegeting a city. One biblical model for this is in Acts 17 when Paul is in Athens for the first time. He walked around the city, observing and reflecting on a new urban context. Then, he was able to "translate" the good news into Greek culture using various symbols and characterizations (such as the unknown god).

Cities are often very different at night than they are during the day, so I made sure to take city walks in Homewood at both day and night. To be completely honest, I felt very comfortable during the day and very uneasy at night. I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable walking around my neighborhood at night, but I know as a Christian I can do my best to have God equip me to be a part of the process of transformation that may one day lead to safer streets. Walking the streets helps me to understand the context of Homewood, and what good news might look like to the people who live here.

Have you taken the time to get to know your neighborhood? Do you know your neighbors? What cultural clues, symbols, and characteristics are important to your context? What signs of hope do you notice? What signs of need do you notice? What would good news look like to your neighborhood?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan

You ask some really good questions.

It seems more and more, at least in 'suburbia', people are content to have very limited, if any, involvment with their neighbors. They wave when they see them, and maybe say hello at the mailbox, but that's about it.

Methinks part of the reason is that people see their home as a refuge from the world - work, school, etc. - and really don't want to engage the world when they're home; they just want some rest and relaxation, to unwind from the pressures of the world. And that's reasonable and understandable.

That said, we are to be light in our communities; we can't be if we hide our light under the bushel of our home.

So, the question is in some ways a matter of finding balance.

John V

Anonymous said...

Bryan,

I hope some "Christian" doesn't read this blog and try to convince you to not walk around Homewood at night! There is a place for wisdom and discretion -but a bigger place for WWJD! Watching you LIVE the Gospel is so refreshing!

Guess Who :)