Monday, February 7, 2011

Radical Community

My friend, Pastor Kent Chevalier, taught a great sermon at North Way Christian Community this weekend called Back in the Day:  Part 5.  If you did not happen to be at North Way this weekend, please go check out the video or audio file at http://www.northway.org/.  God really worked through Kent to share a powerful message about how followers of Christ should develop community and be a part of God's mission to redeem the world.

American Christians need to recover our faith from the American Dream.  Most of the American Dream is a lie of the world.  We should be living in God's Story!  There is great joy to be found in the epic adventure that is God's grand narrative.  And what joy can we expect to find in the American Dream story?  Not much.  A lot of dead ends and disappointments.  There is never enough in the world to satisfy what we are all searching for, even though America is making quite a push to see if it's even possible to replace God with a bunch of elaborate idols.  But in the end, our human plans and luxuries will never surpass the joy and purpose in life that is found in orienting ourselves within God's Story.  God is on mission to redeem the world.  We each have a unique role to play in that mission.  And, that mission most definitely does not involve arranging for more and more stuff for ourselves so that our lives might somehow be more comfortable and easy.

3 comments:

FinancialTeacher said...

Yes, a very challenging sermon and one that has me questioning my goals in life. I am far from living a radical life.

Steve

Danielle said...

I've been thinking a lot about the whole "American dream" thing lately. Specifically, how much "American" thinking affects the American missions community. So many North American missionaries return home frustrated because they were ineffective in the culture they were trying to reach. So many experience depression, culture shock, and an inablilty to connect with the people they are supposed to be serving. So many go on the mission field with the mindset that if they work hard enough, push their way enough, God will bless it. I have read blog after blog, story after story of missionaries who have fit this description. I'm challenging myself to look at the way I am doing cross-cultural ministry...am I trying to just force something to happen in my own power because that is the American way? To push my ways of thinking in the Latin American context? Or do I have the humility to think that maybe the American way isn't God's way...maybe it's not quite as effective as us Americans would like to think. Just something I've been thinking about lately...I definitely will give Kent's sermon a listen.

Bryan McCabe said...

Thanks for the comments. The cultural currents in America are very strong... in some great ways but also in some destructive ways that can become difficult for folks to break free from.